Definition of Report
Report is a text which presents information about something, as it is. It is as a result of systematic observation and analysis
Generic Structure of Report
1. General classification: Stating classification of general aspect of thing; animal, public place, plant, etc which will be discussed in general
2. Description: Describing the thing which will be discussed in detail; part per part , customs or deed for living creature and usage for materials
Language Feature of Report
• Introducing group or general aspect
• Using conditional logical connection; when, so, etc
• Using simple present tense
The Differences between Report Text and Descriptive Text
Some text types are quite difficult to differ. Such report and descriptive text have the similarity in the social function and generic structure. However if they are analyzed carefully, the slight difference between the two text types will reveal.
The purpose of the two texts are to give the live-description of the object/participant. Both the report and descriptive text try to show rather than tell the reader about the factual condition of the object. Readers by themselves will catch the impressive point of the object through that showing writing style. What make different, between report and descriptive text, is the scope of the written object. If we talk about, eg: bicycle, it belongs to report text. It will talk about bicycle in general; its parts, physical strength, function for certain people or other general characters of bike. In the other hand, descriptive text will convey more focus, for example "my bicycle" with its specific characters; color, length, wheel style, etc.
In short, report text describes the way of certain things and frequently refer to phenomenon of nature, animal and scientific object. Mostly, report is written after getting careful observation. This scientific and technical sense make clearer difference from descriptive text. The way of descriptive text in showing thing is based on the objective fact of the thing. It describe the specific thing simply as the thing is.
example of report text
Tyrannosaurus rex, sometimes just called T-rex, is believed to be the largest and most fearsome predator on Earth's land ever to have existed. This dinosaur once roam the Earth in the Creataceous period approximately 68 to 65 million years ago.
As a carnivorous dinosaur, this giant predator most likely ambushed their prey, and devoured them with jaws full of white sharp teeth. With it's fast ability to run at an astonishing speed of 32 mph (50 kmh), a perfect slim and stiff tail that gave it an excellent balance and allowed it to make quick turns, equipped this gigantic predator and made it even more deadly, like a killing machine.
Teks report adalah teks yang menyampaikan informasi tentang sesuatu (objek, makhluk hidup, kejadian alam) secara apa adanya, sebagai hasil pengamatan yang sistematis dan berdasarkan fakta.
Ciri yang membedakan teks report dan teks descriptive adalah cara penulisannya. Teks report hanya menjelaskan topik teks secara umum, sedangkan teks descriptive menceritakan topik teks secara lebih terperinci.
Struktur teks report yaitu:
• General statement: Pernyataan awal yang menyampaikan pada pembaca mengenai topik teks secara umum
• Description: Deskripsi secara umum dari topik teks
• Pernyataan umum yang menerangkan subjek laporan, keterangan, dan klasifikasinya.(General Clasification)
• Deskripsi lanjutan dari General Classification (Description:tells what the phenomenon under discussion ; in terms of parts, qualities, habits or behaviors).